Join the MHA house-share pilot
Are you looking for an affordable place to live in Monmouthshire?
Our new house-share pilot is now open to applications from the following Monmouthshire residents:
- single, with no dependent children
- Between 22 and 35 years of old
- unemployed and actively looking for work or who are on low incomes
Why are we starting a shared-house pilot?
From April 2019 most council or Housing Association tenants between 22 and 35 years old of age will have the amount of Housing Benefit (or the housing element of Universal Credit) capped to the ‘Shared Accommodation Rate’ . In Monmouthshire this is currently £54.60 per week. The average rent for a 1 bed flat with a Housing Association in Monmouthshire is currently around £90 per week. This means that many younger tenants will not be able to afford to rent a one bed flat unless they are in employment. To support people affected by this welfare reform change MHA is setting up our first shared-house pilot.
What is a shared-house?
- A number of 2-bed apartments in Caldicot and Abergavenny will be used for the pilot.
- We expect people to live in the shared-house.
- Two people will share the apartment and be responsible for the bills.
- You will each have your own bedroom.
- You will share other rooms, including the kitchen and bathroom with your flat-mate.
- The apartment will be newly decorated, carpeted and furnished in communal areas
Who will I share with?
- You will share with another person who meets the criteria for the pilot.
- You can apply to house-share with someone you know or we will help match you with someone to share with.
What support will I receive?
You will receive an enhanced housing management service, with regular visits from your housing officer during your tenancy, including support to write your own ‘house rules’ at the start of your tenancy.
You will be fast-tracked to our Work & Skills Wise Team who will support you to find paid employment.
MHA will also help you to move-on from the shared-house into a home you can afford long-term, once you have secured paid work.
I’m interested - how can I apply?
If you would like to register your interest in the house-share pilot, please ring Homesearch on
0345 900 2956 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org