Mutual Exchange

If you are a Council or Housing Association tenant, with a secure or assured tenancy, you probably have the right to exchange your home with another tenant. This is called a mutual exchange.

It is a quick and easy way to move, and usually much faster than applying for a transfer through the Homesearch waiting list. 

A number of MHA tenants have successfully exchanged their property through one of the schemes below (click the two logos to register and find someone to swap with).

Pictured: The 'House Swap Wales' logo that also acts as a clickable link to the House Swap Wales Facebook page.     

Home Swapper Logo

Key Points

  • You can swap your home with another council or housing association tenant in Wales or anywhere else in the UK.
  • MHA will usually only agree to the move if your rent account is up to date, in line with your tenancy agreement and there are no other breaches of your tenancy. 
  • You must have written consent from MHA BEFORE you move. The person you are exchanging with will also need written consent from their landlord. If you move without MHA's consent the move is not legally binding and you will lose your rights as a tenant.
  • If you obtain our consent through fraud or either parties do not intend to live in their new homes after the exchange - you could end up losing your home.
  • You should only move if you are sure you want to do so. Once you sign to swap your home, it's legally binding. 
  • If you are a 'Starter Tenant', you do not have the right to exchange and will have to wait until you are granted an Assured Tenancy (usually after 12 months).
  • When you have found someone you would like to swap with, MHA can provide you with an application form to begin the process.


An exchange could help avoid the 'Bedroom Tax'

Mutual exchanges have become more popular since the introduction of the Bedroom Tax, where Housing Benefit is cut for every ‘spare’ room in a property.

One bedroom is allowed for each of the following:

  • A single adult or a couple
  • Any other adult aged 16 or over
  • Two children of the same sex both aged under 16
  • Two children of any sex both aged under 10
  • Any other child


Can MHA refuse to give me consent?

There are certain reasons why we might refuse an exchange and these could include:

  • You do not have an Assured tenancy.
  • You are subject to a court order for possession or proceedings have been started.
  • The property is too large or too small for your household.
  • The property you wish to exchange to is meant for occupation by a disabled person or someone with a special housing need and you do not have this need.

For further information on mutual exchanges please visit the above sites or email us at:  or contact us on 0345 677 2277 or 01495 761100 (if you are calling from a mobile).

Chat Live now!

Live Support

Our advisors are available Monday-Thursday 9am-4:30pm and Friday 9am-4pm.